Wednesday 13 February 2008

# 22 Go



Here's an example of something the UK does best. The recipe is really quite straightforward.

1. Get a good song with a convincing sound. Keep the idea simple. Don't let it get out of hand.

2. Get a reasonably low-key singer who can carry a tune. He may not necessarily immediately appear young and hip or, indeed, made for television. The key thing here is making sure he can deliver the song.

3. Make it clear to any hopeful choreographers that their services are not required for this particular act.

5. Sing the song. Get off the stage. Maintain credibility at all times. Don't let anything get out of hand.

Love it.

Poor old Scott Fitzgerald. He sang a beautiful song and did unexpectedly well in the 1988 Eurovision. The UK and Swiss acts made this particular event one of the most nail-biting in the show's history. There were genuine roars of disappointment when Celine Dion finally clinched her lead over Scott Fitzgerald in the final vote.

If only Scott had got his hair done. Maybe things might have been different.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think things would have been different had Scott avoided another 1988 sartorial disaster and worn a long-sleeved shirt, myself!

That said, this is one of the most underrated UK entries. One of the few times the UK has tried a ballad, and what a cracking one it is too. Well written, well arranged and well performed - it's easy to see why this came agonisingly close to winning.

Anonymous said...

I know it's an elegant ballad. I know it's an assured performance. I know it's extremely respectable all round.

I'm sorry - I found it boring in 1988 - and in the 90s - and in the 00s - and just now when I played it again.

I know I ought to like it, but I just can't.

Really very sorry.