Sunday 20 January 2008

# 5 My number one



Yet another confession to be made with this particular Eurovision song, one which won for Greece in 2005. It wasn't until a few days ago I discovered that Helen Paparizou actually sang for Greece in 2001. That lack of simple knowledge is really quite shameful. (Listen out for the hoards of "serious" Eurovision fans chase after me with rusty spears as a result.)

This is not the only confession here. The truth is that after having completed what is a very rigorous testing procedure where this particular song is concerned, I have to say that this isn't a song I'd necessarily want to hear again.

The song does tick some good Eurovision boxes however. The verse has an ethnic feel to it - there was a time when the aim of the contest was for countries to submit songs to the final which represented their cultural identity. The choreography on stage is considerably tighter than in the 2001 show and Helena shows the performance experience she's obviously gained over the years. How anyone is able to deliver a song powerfully and confidently like she does at the same time as leaping around the stage is quite impressive.

In those respects it's not surprising that Greece won with the song they did. Here was a plausible television act with a tub-thumping beat representing a country which was long overdue for a win. Who could deny Greece a win? No, not even me. I just don't think I particularly want to hear the song again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon Jacob! The shame!!!! I can't believe you didnt know that Helena was part of Antique, who did indeed represent Greece with Die For You (a pretty brilliant song!) back in '01!! Annnd, I can't believe you don't know more about Helena and Antique in general, especially having worked with Mavris!! She LOVVVVVES Antique!! Check them on youtube....Dinata, Dinata and Opa, Opa!
(Gary Farrell, RBM and Facebook!)

Anonymous said...

Well, in the last four years when I haven't been impressed by any of the winners, this is the most impressive. Probably because it most resembles a mainstream hit like the best winners of yore.

But again, it's an empty song with silly lyrics favouring glitzy performance gimmicks instead of substance, has an instrumental break that goes on interminably, and features another cold performance by Helena singing to one camera only.

The only real thing going in its favour is indeed the beat - well, that and backup singer Alex Panayi's sneeze about five seconds from the end!

Anonymous said...

I remember listening to many of the pre-selections in the run up to the 2005 contest and thinking that this was one of the jolliest. I was perfectly happy that it won and it continues to grow on me.

However my main memory of this song is that it was played during a Turkish wedding disco in a Turkish restaurant in London I was patronising the following year and I thought that was a great thing for international relations.

I also remember seeing her perform live at the 2006 MYMU and she put on a good show.