Thursday 24 January 2008

# 11 Musik klingt in die Welt hinaus

Keen to meet the demands of the handful of people who read and comment on this Thoroughly Good Eurovision blog, I hereby offer up what I consider to be a terribly fine example of a Eurovision effort. And of course, by effort I really do mean "effort". I might even go as far as to say that this presentation from Switzerland at the 1990 Eurovision truly is utter dross.

I don't even know or care where they came in the ranking. I'd rather listen to the music bed Terry Wogan chunters over as he introduces the song.

Don't even get me started on that suit Egon's wearing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmph! I knew sooner or later you'd present a song you didn't like that happened to be a favourite of mine!

Yes, Egon Egemann has a terrible singing voice. Yes, he's wearing an appalling white suit and playing a white violin with a white bow. Yes, it's a corny piece of Mitteleuropa.

But...but...it's such a sweet song, with lovely lyrics and arrangement, and it has a very uplifting feel. Egon's violin playing is excellent, and the main violin melody is a thing of beauty.

1990 is a vintage year for the Eurovision, and this is a particularly sweet grape. Dross indeed!

Anonymous said...

It's Jacob 1, Commenters 2. It's a delightful tune, and although he's clearly from a different planet, his enjoyment carries over to the listener. Great to sing along to, too! And the violin musical break in the middle soars.

Domestic moment: I bought the 7" single from some ESC record dealer many years ago after a lot of searching. I feverishly opened up the package and saw a mint condition record. Joyously I said to the other half "Look! It looks like it's never been played!!" "You don't say..." came her bewildered reply. (She hates it as much as you do Jon).

Yes, bring on more 1990, I love it!

Jon Jacob said...

What silly nonsense you're both talking. ;)