Sunday 1 June 2008

# 33 Loca



One of the problems with setting myself the challenge of listening to every Eurovision song and then blogging about them, is that I do have to write about the ones I don't like. That's quite a challenge when the damn blog is prefaced "Thoroughly Good". After all, in a way, what's the point if I don't like them? (It's about being "thorough", that's what it's about. Geddit?)

Still, in pursuit of a vague feeling of accomplishment, I might as well get Moldova's Eurovision contributions out of the way as quickly as possible. Where the previous act from 2005 set me alight, this one from 2006 performed by Natalia Gordienko and the dubious-sounding Arsenium leaves me cold.

I can't even bear to look at the video to be honest, the sound of the song is enough to make me think of 80s Lilt adverts with partying twenty-somethings bobbing up and down beside a casually parked Volkswagen Beetle on a sun-kissed beach.

Moldova came 20th in the final in 2006, hence why they had to participate in the semi-final the year after. Strangely, it's not unlike the UK's Teenage Life from Daz Sampson which came in at 19th place in the final ranking the same year.

Final place: 20/24
Final score: 22

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm. Well, this one is not actively bad - just weak and turgid, stuck in the death slot with very little to recommend it. It doesn't have much punch, and is chiefly notable for the ridiculous decision to try and rhyme "loco" and "loca" in an English lyric.

I do remember how very weak the overall start to the 2006 final struck me as, there in Athens. It wasn't until the Maltese entry that things seemed to get going, and typically for me that one came last! But more on that another time...

I suppose it does get a few points for having someone put on clothes at the end rather than remove them...although to be honest, I'm not really sure how much more Natalia could have taken off!

Anonymous said...

Know what? I've listened to this again and it's confirmed to me that it is complete and utter rubbish. Feebly presented and sung, a limping tune, meaningless lyrics...I'd better stop before I start taking about its bad aspects.