Thursday 29 May 2008

# 31 Century of Love



Whilst I'm still able to look at the 2008 contest without breaking out in hives, take a look at Moldova's splendid little effort from this year, Century of Love sung by Geta Burlacu. The version above is the one from their national selection show.

I'll confess that I fell for this song big time the moment I saw the national selection video but, just as with quite a lot of acts this year, the experience was entirely different come the actual semi-final.

Gone was the intimate, basement-jazz like feel and in was a strange stage performance comprising a teddy bear and lost-looking sofa. I winced when I saw it.

I was disappointed it didn't get through to the final but will happily play it from time to time. This will be a survivor from 2008, no mistakin'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I'm grateful for the chance to have seen it just now in its original setting. How much more enchanting it was in Moldova than in Belgrade with teddy bear, sofa et al (or should that be et nihil?)

I'm afraid on the night a lousy draw and a lousy setting made it completely anonymous.

For me it's a pleasant ditty but nothing more.

Anonymous said...

You have got to be joking, surely?

I'm certainly no philistine when it comes to this sort of thing - Bulgaria 2005 and especially Lithuania 2007 are both underrated songs in a similar groove to this one.

But - the song itself is dull and completely lacking in any sort of hook. I can tolerate the first 10 seconds, but what then?

And the stage performance was very possibly the single worst of all 43 songs. Not only did Geta's strange vocals fall completely flat, but the presentation (with teddy bear and sofa) was DIRE.

Moldova are unfortunately developing a reputation of being terribly erratic with their entries - one year good, next year terrible. This is one which I am definitely burying from 2008, sorry.