Saturday 26 January 2008

# 16 No estas solo



Roll up, roll up for my most favouritist song in the Eurovision Song Contest ever.


No estas solo, sung by Patricia Kraus', represented Spain in 1987 at a contest which oozed visual style both in it's presenter Viktor Laslo and the set. It makes me tingle watching it. And yes, I do watch it in its entirety from time to time even now.


Kraus' performance is powerful, even if her make-up is a little alarming close up, and this is no way understated by her choice of body morphing outfit which grips her waist like a vice.


I remember pouring over the video back in 1987 and somehow marvellous at the way she strode on to the stage with a green chiffon scarf across her shoulders. "She's not going to be able to sing with that on her," I remember thinking when I watched the contest and, sure enough, off she tosses it almost as soon as she's perched on her stool.


There was one other reason this particular act caught my eye and it's still the case now. I seem to recall thinking the miming guitarists were quite cute at the time. It's one of the few Eurovision opinions I had then I still have now.

But if there's one thing about this particular song which drives me wild every time I hear its that falling chord in the chorus before Kraus sings "radio" and does the twirly-mad action with her finger. That one chord turns me to jelly every single time.

Kraus came a miserable 19th place with a miserable 10 points in 1987. Frankly, I don't care about the score or the placing. Not really, anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You see, here's my head, approx 5'10" above the ground, and there goes that song, some two to three feet over it, sailing right past offering no connection with my head at all.

This is the kind of song that I'm sure I should appreciate but it means nothing to me. She looks like Glenn Close tarting up an S&M session and for me the tune is unmemorable.

Sorry. My taste is trashier.