Monday 25 February 2008

# 24 Si



Another confession needed for the latest Thoroughly Good Eurovision video. This isn't something I'd actually heard that many times before, still less realised it originated from the 1974 contest. I didn't stumble on the song trawling the internet either.

My attention was drawn to Gigliola Cinquetti singing "Si" for Italy solely because of a meeting I was in with a new colleague in which I ended up talking about the projects I was working on. Inevitably - for professional reasons I might add - Eurovision came up.

"Si, 1974. It was brilliant," said Sally, her eyes clearly lit up by the prospect of either discussing Eurovision history or by the opportunity to test a supposed fan's knowledge.

I was running on empty at that moment in time so the idea of talking Eurovision history filled me with fear and dread. I confessed I knew little of the song title she was talking about but went straight to youTube and searched for it.

"That's it! That's it!" said Sally pointing at the small thumbnail on the page. "That's the one."

I recognised the set instantly. "Oh!" I said clicking on the link and waiting for the video to start, relieved I could clutch on to something I knew and at least attempt to sound as though I was in some way knowledgeable. "That was Brighton. The year Abba won!"

"Fuck Abba!" replied Sally, "Italy should have won that year."

As we listened to the song and Sally gestured with her arms in time with the soaring melody, I had to agree that Italy's effort that year was something very special indeed. This wasn't fluff or handbag music (both of which is acceptable and encouraged in equal measure) but instead a considered melody with a fair amount of passion delivered in a suitably understated fashion.

I can't say that I have ever heard anyone say "Fuck Abba!" before. Up until the other day Abba were, in my eyes at least, the god's of Eurovision. Abba were the people who had demonstrated how it was possible to win Eurovision and come out the other side.

Mind you, it's always nice to have a totally left-of-centre opinion come at you like a freight train.

(And yes, for those of you with an encyclopaedic knowledge, I know that Gigliola Cinquetti won for Italy in 1964. We'll get on to that later.)

Gigliola Cinquetti came second at the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest with her song "Si".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all respect to Sally, this is one of those Eurovision numbers which many people seem to absolutely adore - but which leave me a little cold.

I appreciate that the chorus is mostly a thing of soaring beauty. But maybe it's because the composition has no coherent flow to it at all...or perhaps the very laid back performance by Gigliola Cinquetti wearing a lamp shade...or just that I find the whole thing a tad overrated.

I don't know. But this certainly should not have come anywhere near winning in 1974, for me anyway.

Anonymous said...

First time I've heard this for ages. It is rather beautiful. All introspective and meaningful, dramatic and emotional, but in a reserved sort of way. You enjoy it - but then it's over and you move on.

Gigliola Cinquecento is rather revered in many counties of the Eurovision Kingdom. Not entirely sure why. To me her dress looks like a candle that's been relit too often and the wax is flowing down to the floor. And her backing singers look awful. Makes the glamrock styles of a couple of years before feel positively tasteful.

Thank you for reminding me of that song. Now it's over. Can we move on?