Monday 2 June 2008

# 34 Fight



At last, a vague sense of self-satisfaction as I complete a smallish chapter in this riduclously unwieldly Eurovision-related blog. Yes, this is the final contribution from Moldova (until some time in 2009) and on that basis I am feeling a little bit smug.

Natalia Barbu performed for Moldova in 2007 with "her" song Fight, a vast improvement on Loca from the previous year, but something which leaves me a little cold. There's more than a strong reminder of Ruslana with that skimpy leatherette number she's wearing.

The tub-thumping rock track reminds me just a little of Lordi's Hard Rock Hallelujah which won the previous year, although obviously Natalia looks considerably easier on the eye than Lordi did.

Having said that she does carry off a pretty good performance especially considering she has to hit quite a high note at the end something reflected in an equally good performance in the voting.

OIKO Times however carries a story post-Eurovision 2007 that Natalie would not put herself forward to represent Moldova in Eurovision again. It seems it's quite a costly exercise.

Soult.com: "Prediction for the final: Unlikely to qualify"

Je T'Adore Eurovision: "Moldova for me were one of the shockers this year, and I can’t decide as to whether or not they were a prime example of political voting at it’s best or if it simply did strike a chord around Europe..."

Not sure I'd necessarily go with what EurovisionLive.com concluded, "Natalie Barbu came 10th in the final with “Fight”. Maybe this proofs that new and innovative styles are very much appreciated at Eurovision."

MishaEurovision07 provides an account of Natalia in rehearsal in 2007.

Was it really innovative?

Final place: 10/24
Final score: 109

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, this one was something of a surprise, but for all the right reasons.

I'm not a huge fan of songs like this, but even I can't deny that it was brilliantly put together. It was a big risk to have a song where about 45 seconds elapse before the first note is sung, but the wonderful stage backdrop captures and holds the attention.

And Natalia's vocal performance here is excellent, given that it's a very demanding song.

Of course, the real secret to its success is that it was drawn last in the final...given that it qualified by the skin of its teeth, I would think a lower placing would have been assured if this was nearer the beginning than the end.

This entry wouldn't be on my list of favourites, but it certainly deserves some credit.

Anonymous said...

I've come to the conclusion that if I was a citizen of Moldova I'd have to develop artistic interests away from the muse of music.

Natalia is a lovely girl, no doubt about that. But I do find this song strangely unsatisfying. I think it attempts lots of styles and just fails on all of them. Not quite rock chick; not quite raunchy; not quite memorable riff; not quite a great tune. Not quite worth bothering with.