Tuesday 4 March 2008

# 27 I can't live without music


Maybe it's because I am in a spectacularly foul mood today and ready to hit out at anyone who dares to come near me that I've picked out this shameful example of Eurovision hideousness. It's a cautionary tale about what happens when people start letting their woeful lack of understanding about tv performances spiral out of control.

Just imagine it. What we need is someone singing this song whose affliction (Corinna is blind, if you didn't know it - most will) will make the lyrics all the more poignant. She's going to find it difficult to jig about on stage so we'll thrown in some dancers and backing singers who can do that as well.

The result ? A terrible looking performance eclipsed by one of the particularly bad acts in Eurovision that year (Russia and Cyprus were even worse) although nowhere near as excrutiating as the UK's now infamous appearance the year after when Jemini suffered their humiliation. The backing singers literally scream into their microphones, the intonation is all off and even the gratuitous key-change doesn't improve things either.

Little wonder Germany came close to bottom of the pile that year in 21st place with a measely 17 points. A real shame, as its clear that May has the power to deliver a punchy melody. She is clearly an able singer, just not in these conditions.

But the cherry on the cake, every time I listen to this song is the penultimate line of the lyrics. "Music makes me feel like flyin', gives me hope when I'm a cryin'" Pass me the sick bucket, quickly.

Should anyone feel the need to ease my troubled brow with a suitably calming suggestion of the next Eurovision song you think I should listen to, then please let me know using the handy comments box below.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a good laugh this morning, Jon. You're quite right - but bear in mind that a LOT of people thought this could win leading into the Saturday night.

The entire performance here is woefully ill-conceived; from the hideous leather outfits, to the uncertain shuffling of the backing singers, to the bad intonation and overly strident tone of Corinna herself, to her annoying hand-clicking on the mike - nothing works!

The funny thing is - despite all of these problems, this song is still in my top five of 2002! Somehow, it still manages to touch a chord in a year which I always like to refer to as "airbrushed" and insubstantial.

As for something to calm your frazzled nerves and dark mood - have you ever heard Belgium 1971? What about Switzerland 1981?

Jon Jacob said...

Your responses are always so considered.

I hate that.

:)

Anonymous said...

This is a real tricky one to decide on. Let's start with the positives.

I think it's a really catchy tune. I can't resist but sing along with it. I particularly like the bit the first time she sings "I can't live without music" and it goes down to quite low notes and she sounds pretty serious.

It is completely destroyed by that ultra-embarrassing last bit, as quoted by Jon. Can't decide if it's sick bag or they just couldn't think of a way to end it. Whatever, it's vile.

Unfortunately, she couldn't have had very good advisers as the presentation is dire. Her whole performance exaggerates her blindness to a distracting degree, and the song isn't strong enough to get over that.

It ought to be hugely better than it is.

If you want a calming influence, for me the best ballad sung by a male singer in the contest is Belgium 1990. Lyrical, evocative, top notch. That should dissolve your frown. (Can frowns be dissolved?)